Monday, February 20, 2012

The Dream Revisited

My husband and I celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary in October, and throughout our marriage, there have only been a few things that have remained consistent, at least with regard to our dreams and pursuits, and how we’ve chosen to raise our family. Everything else has been left open-ended and negotiable. But as for our dreams—yes, they’ve been consistent, and suffice it to say that we dream big. Really big. Sometimes I feel like in idiot, clutching onto what others may think of as pipedreams, but what’s the harm in keeping the faith?

And so, over the long weekend, my husband and I found ourselves discussing big dream numero uno—building our own affordable ecologically sound straw bale home. Buying just any home wouldn’t be the same. This would be a home we’d have a hand in building ourselves, and would give us the opportunity of creating a living space that fits us, rather than the other way around. Oh, how romantic, right? But it’s kind of scary, too. So I go through periods of intense fear over the thought of even embarking on such a journey, particularly as I have absolutely no building experience, and because I haven’t a clue how to even wire or plumb a house. And I cannot say with any certainty that my husband knows much about these sorts of things either. But he’s a glass half full kind of person, so he says he’d be up for the challenge. The reality, however, is that we still, as a couple, have a half dozen or so incomplete home projects, and this realization kind of puts a damper on my big dreaming. Not to mention he works full time, and I am otherwise engaged myself, obsessing over any number of things. What a pair we make!

Keeping in mind all of the above, and that this is all just a dream (so far anyway), please allow me to gush about my absolutely awesome all-in-my-head dream home.

1 - As mentioned, it would be a straw bale construction, coated in cob, and finished with a rendering of lime.

2 - It would make use of materials that could be locally gathered, and built to complement its surroundings and make the best use of its location.

3 - Two words: Solar Panels

4 - It would have earthen floors with radiant heating.

5 - It would preferably be two floors (husband insists, but I’m open to just one).

6 - It would have built-in bookshelves, of course!

7 - It would have an open floor plan. Too many walls seem too constricting to me. I love descriptions of homes that include the verb "spills." For example, "the living room spills out into the spacious family room." Gratuitous space. I love it.

8 - It would have an enclosed courtyard as I’ve been dreaming of such a thing since I was a child. (And now that we’re all involved in martial arts, how absolutely awesome would it be to have an enclosed outdoor area for practice? And no, yards are just not the same. Courtyard = Win!)

I’m sure I can think of more to say, but I’m antsy to get back to Googling for more information. To be honest, I’m more of a hire-it-out sort of girl, but in my dream scenario, I’d still like to have a part in some of the work. I’m sure I can stack bales, and applying cob, while surely time consuming, doesn’t seem that difficult or impossible. All the other stuff however, like making plans, building a frame, and handling the wiring and plumbing however, that’s the part I’d gladly farm out. Hmmm…when I think of it that way, it doesn’t seem that wholly pipe-dreamish. Oh, the possibilities!

I’ll leave you all with this really neat video on straw bale construction.



Tons of work to be sure, but I’d imagine building one’s own home would really transform a person, and that the benefits and sense of accomplishment would be long-lasting and great indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment