Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Joys of a Productive Day

While I love the holidays, it often takes us a bit longer than most to get fully back into the swing of things. But I'm glad to report, that we're officially back in business. Yesterday was possibly one of the most productive days we've had in weeks. Not only did I manage to keep everyone on task, but I managed to keep the apartment in order, make healthy (vs quick) meals, do three loads of laundry, and start planning for next year.

In other news, my 14 year old daughter, who had been considering trying high school last year, recently informed me that she no longer wants to go at all. I'd be jumping up and down with excitement, except she's been known to change her mind easily. And frankly, this propensity of hers to change her mind so readily, has been the biggest sticking point for me, in "allowing" her to go to school. "Allow" is not even the correct word to use here, as I've always maintained what I feel is an open-door policy with regard to where my children are educated. It's just that as a Mom, I could tell she was just thinking out loud regarding the going to school thing, perhaps even feeling me out on the issue. I want for her to understand that if she does go, she has to stick with it, for at least a year. If she was younger, I'd likely not have the "try-for-a-year" requirement, but at her age, and in high school, I think more time to test the waters would be more fitting. She has assured me (this week) that she feels that she no longer needs school, as her schedule is fairly busy now as it is. Last year, her schedule was much lighter, with only about 2-3 outside activities per week, and she felt a bit of a void of sorts. Now, that's not the case. So, I'm planning on her school stuff for next year, but between you and me, I'm not purchasing anything until August, just in case she changes her mind again--a likely scenario.

Tangentially related to the whole high school thing...

I just wanted to rave again about our Algebra program! Parents out there struggling over your Algebra options, I'd strongly encourage you to check out Foerster's Algebra I: Expressions, Equations, and Applications. Not only did it receive high marks at the Mathematically Correct site, but it can be done independently with the help of some really great supplements, such as David Chandler's Home Study Companion CD (available through Math Without Borders), and a very helpful full solutions manual you can purchase through Pearson. If the Mathematically Correct review doesn't sway you, I don't know what will, especially when you see how it ranks in relation to other programs in use out there! In general, I have my daughter watch the CD for the day's lesson, and then she goes on and does the corresponding exercise. I usually have her do just the evenly numbered problems, as several of the lessons are very lengthy, and save the odd numbered problems for use in quizzes. All I can say is that I am so very appreciative that these materials are out there. I certainly hope that I'm as fortunate in finding a Geometry program that works just as well for us.

Speaking of Geometry, I wonder if it is necessary to do Geometry first before jumping into Algebra II? I'm assuming that what is learned in Geometry may aid in understanding the material in Algebra II, but I cannot say for certain if that is the case. I'll have to add that to my list of things to research for next year.

Happy homeschooling, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment