Friday, September 10, 2010

Stuff, or How I Lack Blog Post Title Creativity

Last night I went to my first ever Catechist meeting to usher in the new school year.  This will be my fourth year teaching CCD, but it's the first time we've all gotten together for a meeting.  The primary motive was to go over our new parish curriculum (Benziger).  I'm teaching the 2nd grade this year, so I received two smallish books for sacramental preparation (Eucharist and Reconciliation manuals).  I guess the program is okay--seems easy enough to implement in a classroom situation, and is fairly well laid out, but it's still not my preference.  I'm more of a "back-to-basics" kind of catechist, and I appreciate resources like the Baltimore Catechism, so these parish programs drive me up a wall.  I keep feeling that there's a lot of beating around the bush involved, rather than just getting to the point.  If you beat around the bush enough, the children are bound to get confused.  All that said, I am pleased that our new parish program seems a bit less cluttered than what we used previously (Sadlier), and some of the language does seem clearer.  I'm sure I'll have more to add, both positive and negative, once I've gotten the chance to teach from it for a while.

Also, on a positive note, our new DRE is just wonderful.  She is so efficient and organized.  I admit, I was just a tad bit envious of her organizational skills.  She seems to have thought of everything.  We all received complete packets with masters of activity sheets, as well as schedules, special prayers to share with the children, and tips--lots of tips.  If only I could bottle up a bit of her organizational know-how and enthusiasm, I'd be a happy camper.  Actually, I could use more than a bit of these this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment