Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Children Have Spoken

I was just informed by the Littles that they miss doing Greek (Koine). It wasn't my intention to just drop it this year.  Frankly, I very nearly just forgot about it--not surprising really, considering the general disorder of things in my head.  It's not like we really need something else to add in, but if the kids don't protest, and in fact ask for something more, I guess there's no harm in obliging.  But oh, what of the schedule?  When to fit it all in?  Guess that we'll be picking up where we left off in the Elementary Greek program (from Open Texture), but we'll surely need to review after our extended time off from the program.  Joy!  It's not like I'm dreading getting back into it or anything, just maybe a little frustrated about having to do all of that reviewing first.

Oh, and tangentially related, the Littles have also shared that they miss their Latin Prep (LP) program from Galore Park.  We were going through this primer series at a ridiculously slow pace, which is why I made the choice to switch to First Form Latin in the first place.  I can see why they miss LP, what with its conversational style and distinct British humor.  While the order of the cases is different from that of American programs, that hasn't been an issue for us.  LP suggests a silly, and mildly irreverent (made me lol) little mnemonic to aid in learning the order of the cases:

Naughty - Nominative
Vicars - Vocative
Always - Accusative
Go - Genitive
Downstairs - Dative
Awkwardly - Ablative

We've just come up with another mnemonic to help us remember the American order.

Napoleon - Nominative
Gives - Genitive
Deb - Dative
Agita - Accusative
And - Ablative
Vexation - Vocative

Okay, not very imaginative, I know.  But it sent the Littles into fits of laughter as soon as I thought of it, and they haven't forgotten the American order yet.  A mild success the way I see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment