Thursday, January 19, 2012

SAT Prep for the Math Strategy-Challenged

I know I can't possibly be the only person to have just one go-to math strategy to employ when solving math problems, right?

[crickets]

Okay, maybe I'm in the minority, but somehow I doubt it. In short, I tend to take the long route to problem solving, going through all of the standard arithmetic, although I didn't realize how long a route it was until beginning Gruber's Complete SAT Guide with my daughter.



Granted, we haven't been using this book very long, but already, I feel like I've had my eyes opened to so much. There's no wonder I struggled with the math portions on my SAT, because even if I could do the math, the time allotment was too short for me. First I had to decipher the problem, determine what was being asked, block out everything else that was going on in the room (distraction is a BIG problem of mine), and then go through all of the steps, employing lots of arithmetic, before arriving at an answer. And then paranoid teenage me (some things never change), would still second-guess my answers, and would attempt to check and double-check. In short, it was a HUGE waste of time.

What's neat about Gruber's book is that it teaches multi-level approaches to solving problems. There's one example in the book using a very simple problem, and the author goes on to illustrate seven different ways to solve it. I found that in that problem, and in subsequent problems in the book, I kept resorting to the "Rote Memory Approach" to solving them. Not only is this the least creative way to solve problems, but it's often the most time-consuming. I just want to add here that this realization kind of ticked me off. In truth, it did. And not just because I was frustrated with myself, but with the fact that this sort of stuff just wasn't ever discussed when I was in high school. Half the time, I just tried to figure things out myself. And there was no Internet to help either! I do believe that there are just some mathematically gifted kids whose brains are wired in a way that makes creative problem solving more organic to them, but if you're not one of the lucky few (my son just happens to be one of them, lucky stiff), then it really helps to have someone, in this case a book, point these strategies out to you.

In any case, I just wanted to put this out there for anyone trying to decide on materials to use for SAT prep. I do want to add that I also purchased a few other resources, namely the College Board's Official SAT Guide, thinking that my daughter could work her way through that one with the help of the oh-so-awesome Khan Academy video series.

No comments:

Post a Comment