Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Date Denial

I can't believe it's already the end of August. Seriously? What? Unreal.

This entire summer has been a blur. I think it will forever go down in the annals of summer history as the summer Mother Nature went all mental on us. Between the hotter-than-hot heat waves, an earthquake that rattled us (read: "me") in more ways than one, and Hurricane Irene, I'm fairly confident that I'm about done. And yet I'm concurrently wishing a milder, less eventful version of it would continue. Indefinately. There were no vacations or day trips. My husband didn't have summer hours this year, something to which we always looked forward, providing him with every other Friday off. But hold it... Lest it be thought that I've been moping around, lamenting the lack of these things, the truth is that the summer flew by so quickly, that I barely noticed what we hadn't gotten around to doing i.e., until I wrote it out just now.

So what have we been doing? Um... Well, there's been some kung fu. We haven't been in as often as we would have liked, particularly due to my husband's "anti-summer" schedule. We attempted several outings on foot, all ending a few minutes later with the kids swooning from the heat, begging to re-enter the air conditioning. Lightweights, they are. And we've spent lots of time doing low-key stuff like watching videos, playing Scrabble and chess, and puttering around, from room to room, discovering stuff.

Acknowledging that it's already the end of summer however, really provides the incentive to just plan something "summery," and my husband must be feeling the same way now, as he's announced he'll be taking a few days off this week. We're so excited about that. We still don't know what we'll be doing, but it may or may not include a trip into Chinatown. The kids have been clamoring to return since Chinese New Year, and I admit that I've been looking forward to that as well. Of course, while they're looking forward to just sight-seeing and visiting some of the video stores (Asian films are a hot commodity at our house), I'm looking forward to buying some Chinese herbal stuff—tinctures and liniments. Boy, do I feel old! But when you are prone to eyesores like this:


And this:


…the desire to purchase liniments claiming to heal bruises faster becomes a matter of vanity, and a sincere desire to keep people from thinking my husband’s a batterer. He’s not. It’s all due to the kung fu, of course. Oh, and the pictures don’t even do these justice. No pain, no gain, right?

Off to have a cup of tea, and work on some more planning for school. That will be another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment