Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Fitness Orb: Not Just Another Silly Idea

A friend posted this NPR story on Facebook, and I just wanted to share it here, particularly as I have blogged about the effects of living a sedentary lifestyle before. The connections between inactivity and a whole host of health issues isn't new to me, but reading this story made me realize that I'm not doing enough after all. The article's target audience is people who have office jobs, and spend several hours per week sitting in front of a computer. Ideally it seems, if I'm understanding things correctly, your hours of physical activity should counterbalance your hours of sedentary activity. But considering most people sleep an average of eight hours a night, you're already lagging behind the moment you wake up. Add to that the time you spend commuting to and from work (assuming you either drive or take public transportation), and another eight hours or so at the office, and you're lagging way behind.

The article suggests taking frequent breaks at the office to stand, move around, stretch your legs, etc.--all practical ideas. Per the article, Dr. Toni Yancey, co-director of the Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Equity in the University of California, suggests, among other things, sitting on an exercise ball instead of a regular office chair.

"...adding that it helps strengthen the core while improving balance and flexibility. It also requires more energy, so a few calories will be burned."

Sounds like fun, if not more than a little distracting. I can probably manage to use it during our homeschooling, but I can imagine the kids begging me for balls of their own. Then before you know it, one or more of them will topple over and bang their head(s).

Seems like Dwight Schrute had the right idea after all.


GIFSoup>

5 comments:

  1. I'm an eternal sloucher - right now I'm sitting at a 45 degree angle in an office chair designed for slouchers.

    I did try the exercise ball idea - it DOES keep your back straight! But it's so distracting, I couldn't get anything done while using it, and I didn't really give it enough time to get used to it, so I'll never know.

    One interesting thing that's been going around is the stand-up desk. Stand all day! Of course, there's dangers there too, but maybe a combination of several of these would improve health (but you'd need an Anthro desk just to keep up with all the configurations).

    -Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I don't think I'd be able to remain constructive if I was sitting on one of those either. I'd find it distracting as well. Frequent breaks to stretch and move seem to be the best option for now...i.e. until someone comes up with a better idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like one would look like they're fidgety, don't you think? I could never concentrate bouncing up/down a ball like that. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, I don't exactly know how these are supposed to be used, but I never really thought of bouncing on them. I figured that the point was to develop better stability and balance. Seeing as you'd be sitting on a ball, this would be more challenging, and you'd develop better muscle control in the process. But then again, what do I know? Bouncing seems much more enjoyable. lol At least Dwight makes it look like fun. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. How funny!! I did use one of these before giving birth..:-)

    ReplyDelete