Friday, April 13, 2012

Easter Week

It’s the Friday of Easter week and all’s well. I had thought of just giving the kids off through Wednesday, until my Mom scolded me for being too unfair. Of course, the truth is that they get loads of time off anyway, even despite our tendency to work throughout the summer. But my Mom won out. I figured it wouldn’t hurt to have an extended break after all, and I’m glad we did because it’s been great.

The kids are actually all passed out again. Yes, it’s the afternoon. It’s what happens when I’m lax about bedtimes, especially when we’re off from school. I did manage to peel them all out of bed by 7:00 a.m. this morning for confession though, and they did manage to stay up until after lunch, so I’m not feeling too guilty about it. They’ll have to go to sleep at a decent time tonight though, especially as we have a long Kung Fu day tomorrow, and an early start on Sunday with CCD followed by mass. By Sunday night, their circadian rhythm should be back to normal. I hope.

In any case, I was disappointed I didn’t get to post anything about our Holy Week and Easter. In short, it was nice. Holy Week is my favorite time of year. Our Italian parish loves its processions, and I love them, too. I had never been involved in any until we became parishioners there. Easter vigil was beautiful as well, and Easter Sunday was nice and low-key, which is just what we wanted. I spent the morning on cooking duty, designated potato-peeling duty to my husband, and delegated some of the tidying up to the kids. It’s so nice when everyone pitches in. Everything gets done in a fraction of the time.

I forgot to take pictures of the kids (seriously, what kind of mother am I?) and most of the meal, but I did somehow remember to shoot the ham. And what a horrible picture it is! I promise you all, it tasted a lot better than it looked. Note to self: Invest in a good camera. That, or better lighting. Both would be best.



Afterwards we transported the meal, a much smaller one than the over-ambitious-on-Patty-terms one I prepared last year to my Mom’s apartment. Less dishes, made transporting easier. I did have to make a mental note that I should really invest in some transport-friendly food containers before the next big holiday. Either that, or I should plan to arrive at my Mom’s place early in the morning and just cook everything there. The problem with doing that is that I’d have to put on a whole Vaudevillian song and dance routine to coax everyone out of the house on time, and of course, then I’d probably have a heckuva time trying to keep my mother from chipping in and helping prepare the meal. She’d definitely try to do too much. She’s been unwell, and the best way to ensure that she takes it easy, is for me to just make everything here.

Hoping all of you are having a wonderful Easter holiday! It ain’t over, ‘till it’s over!

Oh, and I’ll leave you all with the sung Divine Mercy Chaplet just in time for Divine Mercy Sunday. This is my favorite version.

No comments:

Post a Comment