Monday, October 18, 2010

Letting go of that OCD (or trying to)

Recently when I was proofreading a friend's paper for a graduate class she's been taking, I noticed that her spacing between sentences wasn't uniform.  I had to fight against an intrinsic desire to update all of the spacing to two spaces as was common when I first learned to type on an antiquated machine called a typewriter (remember those?), but of course that is no longer considered the proper form.  No longer is it correct to follow a colon with two spaces either.  Oh, the horror!  And just now, I was reminded of this new (yes, it's still new to me) and now firmly established form as I look over my last post and see that my left margin isn't all lovely and flushed against the side because I still subscribe to old school spacing!  I'm not necessarily of the "you-can't-teach-an-old-dog-new-tricks" variety, but why mess with something so basic and as ingrained as proper sentence spacing?  I mean, really.  I understand that the computer has made all of it irrelevant, as it adjusts for proper letter spacing all on its own (shudder), but yikes.

If it wasn't for that dang left margin looking so well, NOT uniform, I'd probably stick to my guns and just type as I always have.  To have to catch myself after every single sentence is just torture, akin to Chinese water torture I'd fathom.  How such an insignificant (to most) little detail could grate on me so much, I'll never understand.

And I thought it was bad enough when Pluto was demoted.  Sure, I understand that it is neither terrestrial or jovian, but again, really?  Well, I just wanted to say, Pluto, I've got your back.  And all this because you're a dwarf and a bit of a tag-along.  In my world, "My Very Educated Mother" still serves us "Nine Pickles." (Note: for those not familiar with the planet order mnemonic, it's My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pickles--or Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto). Kids today are being served Nachos. Nachos! Can you stand it?

Tagentially related, I think I preferred living in a world where brontosauruses (brontosauri?) existed, and were still known as brontosauruses.  "Apatosaurus" just doesn't have the same ring to it.  And from the looks of it, the triceratops might be on its way out, too.  Oh, the inhumanity!


2 comments:

  1. I followed the link (in horror) to the huffington post article..what relief to read the torosaurus will be the one demoted..phew, I had visions of trying to help E understand his beloved triceratops no longer 'existed'..we already have one brontosaurus fan insisting he won't stop refering to him by name cos "it's such a cool name for a dinosaur and I don't care what some scientist claims!" (and yeah you may have guessed it's not one of the children)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but there's bound to be some irate torosauri advocate out there who is fuming over the proposed demotion. But see, I'm such a legalist that I still see this as a demotion for the triceratops as well. I regard their decision to keep the name as a pitiful concession for those of us who cannot handle change. I'll call it a "triceratops" sure, but I'll still go on believing now that it's actually a torosaurus and it will pain me forever more. The damage has already been done as far as I'm concerned. :P

    ReplyDelete